Friday, 13 December 2013

Battered, Bruised, and Still Smiling

Hangin with some friends
It has been a very important day today not just because of Mr.B's surgery but because it's Mr.B's Daddy's Birthday.  Not just any birthday either....don don donnnn, his 40th!  Isn't this a great way to spend a big birthday with you child going into surgery??

You could generally say that I might have a bit more 'excitement' in my life then some.  Nope, no need to be jealous here, my excitement as it's hardly every good!!

Playing in my room at RFH

Sliding around on my newest Blankie (story to come)
We did get Mr.B discharged on Monday and over to the Rotary Flames House.  I was so thankful that they had space for us because Mr.B had a wonderful time over there.  He got to play and socialize.  I can't stress enough of what an amazing resource the RFH is.  We did however have to keep the stay 'under wraps' from the big boys, they would have been crushed to not have been included in the stay.  Hopefully we can spend a weekend there sooner rather then later and spend some time as a family.

The excitement in my week didn't all come from B this past week though, oddly enough.  Rylan (the 7 yr old with Scarlet Fever) lost consciousness one night while playing downstairs with his brother.  I still don't understand the whole story as I wasn't in the house at the time (and didn't even find out until 6 hrs after the fact...yes, I'm still annoyed!).  The best we can piece together is that Rylan was leaned over to reach for a clock and then just simply fell over.  He does remember falling, "I bounced twice then nothing..." but then is blank until he came to with Mike over top of him.  How very odd!!!
Mike didn't see it happen either but he was more concerned about a concussion where as when I found out I wasn't instantly asking about his resp rates, sats and heart rate, etc.  (No, I don't have a life).  Needless to say I went into Ry's room at midnight with my stethoscope in hand and proceeded to listen to his heart beat, rate and resp rates.  I was still not reassured so I spent the night awake worried about Ry.

I checked his heart again the next morning and it was still fine.  I was very happy that we had an appointment with our Pediatrician that morning.  Ironically she wasn't all that worried about the fact that Mike had found him unconscious.  She was also curious if maybe Rylie had Mono all along and not Scarlet Fever...I don't know.  We do still have the Cardiologist work-up next Wednesday and they'll do an EKG (again) and another Echocardiogram.

In the meantime the kid is fully of energy, he is fully back to his pain-in-the-butt 7 yr old self (which is a good thing)!

As I said earlier, Mr.B had a good stay at RFH so when I had to discharge him from there this morning and bring him back across the parking lot he was not too impressed with me.  He was even less impressed when we went into day surgery, he knew exactly where we were.  Smart boy.

Pre-op Toga fashion!

We got through all of the pre-op jibber jabber and got taken to the waiting area (where everyone meets for a final hurrah) before stealing, I mean 'borrowing' your child.  Dr.B came by to see the new tube and was happy I let her open it, Christmas come early!  We never were able to get the non-balloon mini one but we did get a ballooned one that will just have to do for now.  The Eye Dr was late so we had to wait a bit for him which didn't give me a lot of time to review with him (I've not seen him in like 6 mths since he told me he would do the surgery).  B was a trouper and went right in with the Anesthetist and Momma went to take an Ativan...:)

The lovely Nurse Trish happened by while I was waiting which was great because she kept me occupied.  Soon enough Dr.B came out to say that the new tube looked great going in so fingers crossed for this one.  She told me they had about another 20 mins to go before they would call me back.  I sat and clock watched and was very surprised when I got paged to return to the Unit. 

I arrived to find B already in his room with his Nurses.  I was happy to see him but more then a little annoyed since it was conveyed to me that I could be in the recovery room to make the transition a bit smoother for B.  He was in decent enough spirits though and wasn't even needing any extra oxygen at that point (Super Star!!).

Now what have you all done to me??
I was certainly quite taken aback when I saw him though...he didn't have the procedure done the way it had been described to me (at least the way I'm sure I was told).  What I was told (by the Surgeon that did the procedure today) is that he would put a string into B's brow muscle and in to the eye lid and it would 'lift' it up.  He also went on to tell me that his eyes may not close completely anymore but that was 'typical' and kids get over it quickly.  I remember specifically asking if his eyelids would be cut and he said "No".  He explained that by doing this procedure B would have better lasting results and that we could do both eyes at once since the right would have to be done eventually.  Is it possible that I got all of that wrong?  Yes, I suppose to a certain extent but I certainly didn't make it up either.  Fast forward to today and imagine my surprise when I saw an incision the entire length of each eye lids.

Getting ready for a heavy metal concert?!

The Surgeon was no where to be found either, they generally come in and talk to you immediately after a procedure.  I was asked by the Charge Nurse what the plan was and I told her I honestly didn't know.  We were only registered under ophthalmology, not a 'team' so no orders were in the system to feed B or give him any meds.  She then told me that the Dr. had left the building.  Thankfully that wasn't the case as he came by shortly after that.  He didn't understand why we were spending the night (obviously well versed in complex kids, not).  "As far as I'm concerned they could just go right now"...and when asked about only being under Optho his response was "Well don't call ME if there is an issue".  Wow, stellar.

Battered, bruised and still smiling

Of course in true ACH style we were picked up by Dr.Stoyan (who we had on Blue Team on 4th floor).  She came by and was happy to see that he'd been able to tolerate a food.  She also gave the okay to pull his IV out which was a good success.

His energy level is up (about 75%) and we'll take it.  He's certainly in more pain close to his Tylenol/advil dosing but is otherwise coping really well.

End of the night, bruising is coming through now

My fingers are very tightly crossed for discharge tomorrow...and to stay out for a good long while!  He is having some leaking from his g-tube port tonight so they'll have to keep an eye on it over night but it shouldn't be a huge issue (it damn well better not be anyhow).
Loving the Christmas Tree at RFH

From Our Home (Unit 2, yay) To Yours...

No comments: